I’m all for mandatory background checks to verify the identity (and legal status) of someone purchasing a gun.
THAT IS, as soon we have mandatory background checks on …
- anyone VOTING in any municipal, city, county, state or national election
- anyone WORKING as an employee by any company (for-profit or non-profit) or government agency
- anyone TAKING any public benefit funded by tax dollars
- anyone ENROLLING in any school supported by public funds
- anyone PARTICIPATING in the media, anyone exercising first-amendment rights in a public forum
- anyone ELECTED to any public office, including the highest office in the land
If Americans can’t be trusted to excercise one constitutional right, how can they be trusted to excercise any of the other rights and privileges we take for granted?